You are here

How to Choose a Consultant

According to Association of Behavior Analysts, it is recommended that at minimum consultants:

A. Hold a master’s degree in psychology, special education or related field;
B. Have two years of experience using ABA to treat autism in young children;
C. Provide customized program design and monitoring;
D. Provide training of line therapists. Expert consultation is essential to successful ABA programs.

Finding qualified professionals can be difficult. It is best to find a Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) or at the very least a Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst (BCaBA). However, because of the lack of certified professionals and the high demand for ABA consultants, some families may be forced to go out of state for ABA expertise. Another way to bring in experts is by banding together to bring an outside consultant for periodic visits and share the associated travel expenses. Email listserves are one way families can get in touch with each other to hire a consultant.